RULES & ELIGIBILITY
For the WMAs of Merit eligibility, films must meet all qualifications in their particular categories, including requirements for exhibition formats.
WMAs of Merit shall be given annually for the following categories:
Exceptional Performance by an actor or a group.
ANIMATED FEATURE FILM:
Exceptional animated feature film.
Exceptional elements in the design.
MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING:
Exceptional makeup and hairstyling.
ICH film of the year.
Exceptional song for a motion picture.
ICH Production Design.
Exceptional student feature film.
Exceptional visual effects.
What is the feature-length?
Feature-length is a film that is over 40 minutes long.
What films are eligible for the WMAs of Merit?
– Any local film that promotes the safeguarding of the Intangible Cultural Heritage (ICH), and fuses the ICH elements on the lists of the Intangible Cultural Heritage and the register of Good Safeguarding Practices, or any film that safeguards, and promotes national cultural artifacts; are eligible for consideration.
– To be considered for the regional awards, a motion picture must be produced within the submission region. It must contain a 100 percent non-English dialogue track from the country of origin. Only Great Britain and the United States of America shall submit a 100 percent English dialogue track for consideration.
– All motion pictures must be publicly exhibited using 35mm, 70mm or in a 24- or 48- frame progressive scan Digital Cinema format with a minimum projector resolution of 2048 by 1080 pixels, source image format conforming to ST 428 1:2006 D- Cinema Distribution Master – Image Characteristics; image compression (if used) conforming to ISO/IEC 15444-1 (JPEG 2000); and image and sound files packaged as Digital Cinema Packages (DCPs) in either “Interop” or “SMPTE DCP” formats. SMPTE DCP refers to SMPTE ST 429-2 and related specifications.
– The audio in a Digital Cinema Package (DCP) is typically 5.1 or 7.1 channels of discrete audio. The minimum for a non-mono configuration of the sound shall be three channels as Left, Center, Right (a Left/Right setting is not acceptable in a professional environment). In addition to channel-based audio, object-based audio may also be present as an immersive audio bitstream. The audio data shall be formatted in conformance with ST 428-2:2006 D-Cinema Distribution Master – Audio Characteristics and ST 428- 12:2013 D-Cinema Distribution Master Common Audio Channels and Sound field Groups. If present, immersive audio will be formatted in conformance with ST 2098- 2:2019 Immersive Audio Bitstream Specification,
Eligible films must receive the following first public exhibition or distribution within 60 days before submission:
– Broadcast and cable television
– DVD distribution
– Inflight airline distribution
– Internet transmission
– Theatrical motion picture release.
All motion pictures in the local language must contain English-language subtitles upon submission.
Awards qualification shall be determined by the production company’s certification of credits as appear on the screen and submitted accordingly to the World Movie Awards Organization. WMAs reserves the right to make its determination of credit for purposes of awards consideration.
All submissions shall include:
– Factual and full-screen credit.
– Lists of all public exhibitions received.
World Movie Awards Organization reserves the right to disqualify any award upon disputes to credits or reject all claims concerning any issues about credits.
– The WMAs Executive committee in each country shall be invited to submit one
outstanding film to the regional awards.
– The Executive committee must certify that the film was publicly voted and selected by the citizens of the submitting country to represent that nation at the Regional Awards.
– The film producer(s) or distributor(s) must register online at the local office website and for the WMAs Submission Form.
– The producer(s) or distributor(s) shall designate the intended award recipient(s) and the creative individual(s) for the category. The names and signatures of all the credited producer(s) and director(s) are required to ensure all parties have consented to the chosen award recipient(s).
– All release print or Digital Cinema Package submitted for WMAs consideration must be the original content and length of the release print or Digital Cinema Packages used for the exhibition. Encrypted motion pictures will be rejected.
– All Submission materials must be received by the submission deadline published by the regional office with the following:
• Registered WMAs online profile with a photograph.
• Completed an online submission form.
• Digital upload of the film for streaming/voting purposes.
• Full cast and credit list.
• 35mm or 70mm film print or DCP, with English subtitles, 3D capabilities accepted.
• 2 to 3 representative film stills, including a keyframe.
• A poster from the film’s original release
– All the required materials must be submitted through the online submission site.
– All motion pictures submitted will be retained by WMAs for the voting process only and cannot be used for any commercial purpose. By submitting a film, the filmmaker agrees that the WMAs can only make copies and distribute them for voting purposes. The WMAs will retain one print of every motion picture for its archives when receiving a nomination for the Regional Award.
– There are twelve regional committees. Motion picture nominations will be determined by both the local committee and the eleven regional committees.
– The local committee will select the first round of twelve nominations in each category.
– The regional committees will view the twelve shortlisted motion pictures in each category, and vote secretly to determine each category’s final seven nominees.
– The final voting on all categories will be reviewed by the global voting committee and restricted to the public for final voting.
– The Regional WMAs statuette will be awarded to the motion picture and other winning
The designated Award recipient(s) specified on the entry forms with the names and signatures of the key creative individual(s) will be used for the recipient of the awards.
The regional committee shall submit all the regional winners to the global Awards. However, filmmakers must certify the comprehensive submission to be acknowledged.